Council tax support

From 1st April 2013 Council Tax Benefit changed to Council Tax Support. In Slough there were no changes to the way you receive your payment, this will still be put onto your Council Tax account and the bill you receive will show the support you have received.

Council Tax Support can help pay towards some, of your Council Tax bill if you are on a low income, even if you own your own home. The amount you will get will depend on your individual circumstances. This will include your age and whether you live alone.

Please note that CTS cannot help with water charges. Also it cannot help you pay a mortgage: you will need to contact the Department for Work and Pensions if you need help with this.

If you need any further information or wish to discuss your specific circumstances, please contact the benefits helpline on 01753 475111 or visit MyCouncil.

Making a claim

You can get more information about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support by visiting the GOV.Uk website. If you make a claim for Pension Credit, Universal Credit, Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance you will be invited to also claim Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support.

You can get an application form from MyCouncil or you can download one here:

Council Tax Hardship

The Council Tax Hardship scheme has been developed to support residents who are suffering hardship and need assistance for a specified period of time to pay their Council Tax. The scheme will only be used for the payment of Council Tax and all payments will be credited to the Council Tax account, no payments will be paid direct to the customer.  Please contact us for more information.

Overpayment/Change of Circumstances

If you feel that there has been an overpayment of benefit, an underpayment, or if your circumstances have changed you must notify the benefits section immediately.

Evidence and proofs you need to provide

These are the same as for Housing Benefit - you can view them here Housing Benefit proofs.

Council Tax Support appeals

If you disagree with a decision that we have made regarding CTS, you will need to write to us and explain why you think the decision is wrong. This should be done as quickly as possible after we have made our decision. We will look at our decision again and we may amend it in your favour. Once we have considered an appeal you will be notified of the decision in writing together with the reasons for the decision.

However, if you do not agree with the decision and wish to appeal further you must at this stage write directly to:

Valuation Tribunal,
Second Floor,
Black Lion House,
45 Whitechapel Road,
London E1 1DU
Tel: 0300 123 2035

Contact us

Contact Benefits form

01753 475111
Monday to Friday 8am - 7pm.

In person

By email
If you contact the team via email: please include your account reference number in the subject line.